Please call us to coordinate the shipping and receiving of samples that are iced or frozen in order to minimize the chance of warming or spoilage.
- Perishable Samples – Should be shipped overnight and on “blue ice” chill packs.
- Frozen Samples – Should be maintained in the frozen state using dry ice.
- Please include a Chain of Custody of with your samples.
- Customers outside of the USA:. We have USDA import permits available for those customers wishing to send us soil or vegetation (raw, non-processed) samples from outside the United States. Having the proper permit attached to the package facilitates passage through US Customs. Please call or e-mail us for details.
Business Hours: Monday – Friday
7:30 am AM – 5:30 pm PM Pacific Standard Time (UTC-08).
Samples shipped by private carrier (UPS, FedEx, Airborne, etc.) or US Postal Service (USPS)
Columbia Food Laboratories, Inc.
12423 NE Whitaker Way
Portland, OR 97230 USA
Turnaround Times – Call for Exceptions or Expedited Testing
Expect 8 days for sample testing completion with the following exceptions:
- Normal turnaround time for microbiology testing is 5 business days (one week).
- A Special 1 – 2 day turnaround is available for E. coli O157:H7, Listeria and Salmonella using real-time PCR technology.
- 10 business days (three weeks) for the completion of FDA Nutrition Labels.
We scheduled a week or more in advance and test in the order that samples are received. Expedited turnaround require overtime and additional expenses these additional cost will reflected in pricing.
Rush: Analysis completed in 5 business days for an additional 50% of normal price.
Priority Rush: Analysis completed in 1 – 3 business days for an additional 100% of normal price. This may not always be possible, therefore, please call the lab before shipping samples to verify that the analysis can be completed in this short of a time period.
FDA Nutrition Labels may be completed within 5 business days for a 100% surcharge.
The laboratory report will be e-mailed as soon as work is completed. You may request a paper copy by mail.
Sampling, Sample Sizes, and Preservation
Please call us if you have questions concerning sampling, sample sizes or preservation of samples. These factors can vary widely per sample so contact us for specifics on your sample.